Jump to Navigation

St. Clair Shores MI Child Guardianship Lawyers

Child Guardianship Attorneys in St. Clair Shores, Michigan

Families take on many forms. There are many circumstances in which the primary caregiver for a child is not the biological mother or father. If a parent has died or dropped out of the picture, someone else might need to step in to care for children that were left behind. In some cases, a parent is unprepared or incapable of caring for a child — they might be too young, might be battling a chemical addiction or might have financial hardships. In these circumstances, the Juvenile Court is often involved.

If you or a loved one is unable to adequately care for a child, the lawyers at Cherf and Greenup, P.C., there may be legal solutions available to you. Our attorneys help clients in St. Clair Shores and the surrounding communities who need legal representation in guardianship matters and in Juvenile Court.

Minor children are not the only ones who can benefit from the protection of a guardianship. Adults who are no longer able to make decisions for themselves may need a caring protector as well. A guardian can look out for their best interests and safeguard them from unscrupulous individuals. Our knowledgeable attorneys handle a wide range adult guardianship matters.

Contact us to discuss your circumstances with a child guardianship lawyer who has more than 35 years of experience. We offer free initial consultations.

For Children and Parents in Need

Guardianships and conservatorships are created to serve the best interests of a child who is in need of parental care, but these legal tools can also bring great relief to parents who have challenges of their own and to other adult relatives who may be feeling helpless as they watch a deteriorating family situation.

A court can appoint a legal guardian for any minor child who has parents that can no longer provide appropriate care. If a parent is emotionally, physically or financially unable to care for a child, a guardian can be appointed. In some cases, parents voluntarily turn over guardianship because they understand that it is best for their children.

Our firm can help children, parents and concerned relatives by establishing:

  • Limited guardianships
  • Full guardianships
  • Conservatorships
  • Powers of attorney

The specific approach we recommend will be based on the specific details of you circumstance. We use a customized approach for each case that is respectful of all parties involved and that is sensitive to the emotions that are present in these cases.

If you have been providing the day-to-day care for a child without any legal authority or guardianship, it is important to talk with an experienced attorney about the legal rights you need in order to perform common acts like enrolling that child in school. Call us at 586-774-2222 or contact us online to schedule a free initial consultation.